Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fireplace Conversion

Liz has been feeling overwhelmed with all the books we have for the kids and bothered with our current scheme of Anneliese's books being in the office which is inconvenient for her.  So, on a whim she said she wanted me to build a bookcase for the inside of our fireplace since for the past four years we've had a child gate blocking "useful space" according to Liz (now that's Southern California thinking).  So, a few days later I'd whipped up and painted a bookshelf that drops right in.  The backside would make a woodworker cry (I don't have a table saw or anything to help with straight cuts) but I figured all the molding I had planned was going to obscure most flaws.  So, there you have it, six cubic feet of storage that doesn't take up any additional space!

No comments: